Monday 11 November 2013

Length Of Wire Puzzle

Leave a Comment
#156

One of my friend, Shaun asked me to bring a wire from the market. 
I was so confused at that moment, that I accidentally interchanged the feet and inches. 
When he measured the wire that I brought, it was only 5/8 of the length required.
Can you tell, how much wire did Shaun originally asked to bring ??

  Difficulty Level - 3/5

  Update Your Answers Click Here

  Solution : 

   Shaun asked for 7 feet, 4 inches but I brought 4 feet, 7 inches.
   If we label what Shaun asked for as A feet and B inches, which is (12 x A + B) inches, then he actually received B feet and A inches, which is (12 x B + A) inches. Which means that :
   (5 ÷ 8) x (12 x A + B) = (12 x B + A)
Simplifying gives :
   A = (91 ÷ 52) x B >>> A = (7 ÷ 4) x B
As B is the number of inches, it can only be between 1 and 12 and must give A as a whole number of feet. 
B = 4 is the only possible value, which means that A = 7. 
So, Shaun originally asked for 7 feet, 4 inches.

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment